LINCOLN, NEB. – U.S. Senator Deb Fischer (R-Neb.) will serve as the Ranking Member on the Senate Commerce Committee’s Subcommittee on Surface Transportation, Maritime, Freight, and Ports.
“Our diverse surface transportation system is critical to connecting us to family and friends and moving our goods to market. Improving our infrastructure and ensuring the safe, efficient, and secure movement of freight and people continues to be a top priority of mine. I am proud to have been the top Republican on the Surface Transportation Subcommittee for six years, and I am committed to building on our important work,” said Senator Fischer.
The subcommittee oversees transportation across roads, rails, pipelines, ports, and oceans. Specifically, it has jurisdiction over the following agencies and issues:
· Office of the Secretary of Transportation
· Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
· Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
· National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
· Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA)
· Transportation Security Administration (Rail & Pipeline Security)
· Surface Transportation Board
· National Transportation Safety Board (Surface Safety Programs)
· Maritime Administration
· Federal Maritime Commission
· Great Lakes St. Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation
· Daylight Saving Time issues